Thursday 5 January 2012

New Screenbed

You may or may not know, but the wonderful screenbed that I had been using was rented from Jealous Gallery in Crouch End. It was perfect, big enough but not too big, and had a nice action if I may be a bit rock and roll with guitar speak. I had had it since I think Feb last year, so it was a bit of a shock when Matthew rang and apologetically asked for it back. Fair dos, they gave me plenty of warning. So I hit Ebay frantically and within a few days one turned up in Sheffield. I chatted to the vendor on the phone for a few minutes before I realised I knew him from Print Club, and he was coming back down to London at Christmas, so I bung in a few more squids for transport and I'm sorted, except I haven't actually seen it. Martin delivered as promised and I had a happy time trying to put it together. It looked really good, size perfect, fitted all my frames with a couple of cms to spare, and a serious mothersucker of a vacuum pump. I reckoned the printing surface could do with replacing, it was as Martin described, no complaints, but I had the time and the inclination...
The top pic shows the original surface with lots of masking tape.. then I ripped if off and you can see the inside with the core to support the surface but allow the air to flow from above into the pump, I had no idea it would look like this... And finally some of the 4,332 holes I had to drill in a piece of perspex for the new surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment